View Single Post
Old April 21st 20, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default How About Story Time

On Monday, April 20, 2020 at 4:05:39 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
The nice thing about a condom and leg bag on the floor is that you hook it up ahead of time and so when it comes time to pee, there is nothing to fiddle with.

Boggs

So back on story track.
Some years ago we were flying in the Club Class WGC at Musbach in Germany.
It was not so nice a day, still raining, when Christian told us to grid for a 5:00 launch.
Days last late in the summer we're told.
Off we go, flying across to the Alb where we go by the entire German Open Class nationals field sitting in lawn chairs to watch the show. This was easy because we were at their height. Gradually reality happened and we all landed out not very far from each other.
I called Dianne and told her I was in Geisingen and pick me up near the church.
We got together just fine and had the Hornet in the box in quick time just as the sun was setting, now about 8:30 or so.
Pulling out of the field I mentioned to our other crew (the glider owner, Benno) that the trailer did not look right. Sure enough, we had a broken torsion bar on the axle. We're 120k from home and need to be ready to fly the next day.
Benno then called our friend Helge, who happened to be with the open guys at Klippeneck. Helge said he would see what he could do. Less than 30 minute later Helge said he had found a guy with Hornet who told him to go to his shop, put his glider in the shop, and take the trailer. Bring it back when you are done.
At a little after 10:30 we had moved out Hornet into the borrowed trailer and headed back to base. We flew the next day, 400k or so.
While I was flying, Benno got to find a new axle and fit it to his trailer.
It's amazing the generosity we see in our soaring family.
UH