Old February 9th 04, 07:11 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Smartace11" wrote in message
Just the pre-requesites are daunting to say the least.
First, the pilot doing this would have to be good enough to actually fly

the
airplane, which not only requires specific skills but is aircraft

specific
also. That means the thief would have to know where everything is in the

A maintenance troop stole a C-130 off the ramp at RAF Mildenhall. Got all

four
started and managed to get ot off the ground. IIRC he was trying to get

back
to the US to see his wife or girlfriend wh was leaving him. He ended up

headed
the wrong direction and was shot down by fighters out of USAFE as the

story
goes. Supposedly he grashed but there were pieces found with what looked

to be
cannon hits.

I can recall a case where a C-130E (637789) was indeed stolen by a
maintenance type in 1969 trying to get back to the US, but as I remember it
he was not shot down, and he did head in the right general direction. He
went down near the western end of the English Channel, killed himself in the
process (not surprisingly). The aircraft was from one of the C-130 squadrons
then assigned to Langley AFB; my Dad worked at the adjoining LRC/NASA, and
the whole incident caused quite a splash in the local media at the time.
Other than some conspiracy theorists relying on pure rumor mongering, there
was no evidence that it was "shot down". The more likely causes were listed
as either (non)pilot error (I guess that is what you would call it in this
case) or fuel starvation. One gent who was flying C-130's out of the UK at
the same time noted that for a short while thereafter there was a
requirement to chain down, with padlocks, all of their aircraft--but that
requirement died a quick death when someone lost one of the keys and they
had to use a fireaxe to liberate an aircraft to conduct a mission.

Brooks

snip