Old June 20th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_3_]

Default Cobra Trailer Hydraulic Jack Issue

On Jun 19, 8:26*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Jun 19, 7:06*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Failing that you have something worse wrong. I'd take this Chinese POS
jack out and shoot it, ask around, it's Utah, the locals are friendly
and I'm sure some are packing and would appreciate the chance for some
target practice.

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

Shooting it does offer potential entertainment value . . . but if you
decide to go that route or replacinging it, consider the jack can
usually be fixed easily. As Paul posted, a quick fix may be to add
fluid - - but if this doesn't cut it, try draining the jack, flushing
it out with mineral spirits, and refilling with new hydraulic oil. As
they come from the factory, the inside machining is coarse which
results in metal fines in the fluid. This will sometimes prevent the
needle valve or ball check valve from sealing properly and in any case
will cause rapid wear. The jack will then either not lift the load at
all, or will leak-down etc. I recommend draining and flushing one of
these POS jacks after the first season of use. When disassembling,
watch for the little spring and ball!

bumper
MKIV and QV
Minden, NV