Old June 29th 04, 12:51 AM
Roy Smith

In article , wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:

In the "Y" procedure you are free (and actually expected) to use the
OBS mode all the way to ERICS.

Ummm, the Y version is the one that says "direct ERICS". Why would I
want to be in OBS mode instead of "fly leg" mode?

I could have worded it better: you are expected to use OBS or direct-to once
you're ready to navigate the missed approach. Direct-to is a legs mode in
the
sense it builds a leg on the fly from present position to the selected
waypoint;
but it is not a procedural leg.

I guess I'm still confused. From a TERPS point of view, what you're
saying is kind of interesting. But, from a pilot's point of view, all I
really want to know is what buttons I gotta press. And from a pilot's
point of view, I can't see that either the Y or Z procedure should
require me to do any more than hit the SUSP button once.

It seems to me that the TERPS guys have made this far more complicated
than it has to be. For all practical purposes, both missed procedures
boil down to "go in a straight line from RW06 to ERICS". Adding in
intermediate waypoints, multiple modes, and confusing phrasology is just
making things complicated with no practical advantage. Something has
gone amuck here.