Old March 7th 20, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default LiFePo Refit Part 23 AC

My LAK-17a had an SLA tail battery and it was needed as ballast. When I
got a LiFePO4 battery, I put it behind the seat and put a block of lead,
which matched the removed battery weight, in the tail.Â* I suppose I
could have simply left the dead battery there and saved some work but I
didn't want to risk it leaking.

On 3/6/2020 5:47 PM, cdeerinck wrote:
While not necessarily applicable to your situation, FYI, DG prohibits the use of any Lithium-Ion (even LiFePO4) in the tail compartment of its gliders, which surprised me, and foiled my plans. I suspect they have their reasons.

I don't know if that applies to an LS or not.

Best to check with them on what is allowed in your situation.

--
Dan, 5J