Old March 15th 04, 06:33 PM
Aaron Coolidge

G.R. Patterson III wrote:
: No, A&Ps work with the methods and procedures defined in AC.43. The "bible" says
: no soldering unless absolutely necessary.

While this is not an unreasonable limitation, it is not possible to attatch
wires to a potentiometer without soldering (the initial problem that the
A&P mechanic was to fix), so I had (erroneously) assumed that this mechanic
was knowledgeable about the proper practices of soldering and wire support in
high-vibration environments. Sadly I was mistaken, but the ruins of the
installation were recoverable with proper soldering technique and wire
dressing.

Perhaps we are (I am) expecting too much of one man. This particular mechanic
is extremely knowledgeable about structures and most powerplane issues. He's
less knowledgeable about electrical problems, and not at all comfortable with
electronic items - I helped him diagnose some bad engine monitor probes (not
in my plane). If he had told me "I do not think that I can perform this
repair" I would have been perfectly happy, and would have gone elsewhere.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)