Old April 18th 04, 05:09 AM
joe

I knew a tour operator who liked having the PIC on the left. This kept the
collective from being between the seats and too near the passenger, usually
an excited tourist. Ships with the PIC on the right had problems with the
passenger bumping the collective or getting their big butt in the way.

Joe

"Tim" wrote in message
On another forum, the question has been raised as to why the pilot in a

heli
usually sits on the right (excepting tandem cockpit arrangements,
obviously!), when in a fixed wing aircraft the PIC sits on the left. Does
anyone here know the definitive answer? In fact, IS there a definitive
answer, or is it just because that's the way they've developed?

After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that it's maybe to do

with
ergonomics, in that with your left arm reaching down to the side to the
collective and right arm out in front, you tend to get better visibility

the right as it's more comfortable twisting that way, e.g. when coming in

land in a tight spot. BTW I am NOT a heli pilot, (not full scale ones
anyway) so I am quite prepared to be wrong!!

Thanks all,

Tim

---