Old September 10th 03, 11:25 PM
Eric Greenwell

Subject: Which Transponder?
From: "Ivan Kahn"
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:45:04 GMT

Suppression of VFR codes is an option selectable at each
radar controllers station. If he or she selects to surpress
VFR codes then all VFR codes on his or her display will
disappear. This only effects that one controller's display.

controller to see VFR traffic. But when things get really
busy the controller has the option to surpress. Keep in mind
that when they are busy they will only work IFR traffic and VFR
aircraft (on discrete codes) going to/from the primary airport.
So the only traffic outside of Class B, for which non-participating
VFR traffic is of concern, will be IFR operations to secondary
airports. In those cases they can turn-off suppression while working
one of then and then turn it back on once the handoff is completed.

So, are you saying that while an IFR aircraft is outside of Class B
airspace, and under ATC control, then ATC will turn off suppression so
they can see the VFR traffic?

If I've got that right, then isn't that what we want? ATC will keep
IFR aircraft away from VFR aircraft (that's me in my glider with my
transponder) while I'm outside of Class B airspace (the usual
situation).

I've never expected ATC to keep VFR aircraft away from me, though this
can happen if the VFR traffic is using Flight Following.

!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)