Old April 10th 04, 05:27 AM
Charlie Echo

While not a rotorcraft "oopsie"...............
In the mid 1970's my dad sold his Cessna 172 and bought a Cessna 210. On
one of the very first flights he took it from Indianapolis to the University
of Miami (Ohio) to show one of his close friends his new toy. Everything
was going great until he attempted to land. It was only when he heard the
antenna on the bottom of the fuselage scraping the runway that he realized
he had forgotten to lower the landing gear! He did have the presence of
mind, though, not to try and pull out of it as it might have resulted in him
pancaking the aircraft and himself. He just hit the master switch and rode
it on in. Fortunately for him the airstrip he "landed" had a runway of
pea-gravel and tar. They had just laid a new coat of pea-gravel that
morning so he had the added benefit of the gravel acting as ball bearings
when he touched down. He came out of it without a scratch, but I make sure
to remind him of it every now and then. It was repaired and back flying in
no time. I'll never forget that plane since it taught me the love of
flight. While I will likely never be able to become a pilot I still look to
the sky and wish that I could return.

BC
(snipped)