Old February 14th 04, 08:08 PM
Alan Minyard

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:05:42 -0500, "Kevin Brooks" wrote:

"Alan Minyard" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:03:28 GMT, "Mark"

wrote:

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
ws.com...
OK. I have seen the debate over GWB as an F-102 pilot, so I was

wondering
about a couple of things.

First, was the F-102 taken out of service in the early 1970s? I have to
ask
because as a kid I remember the Guard around here flying F-106s up to
around
1990 or 1991 or so, and they were closely related to the F-102. Though

recall them being (much) faster. Mach 1.8 vs. Mach 2.32 IIRC.

HANG (Hawaii) flew 102 until 1977 (last unit as best I can find out).

Now
the be TOTALLY correct Deuce was flown much longer than that as drone.

The Six was faster due to the fact that F-106 had engine with more thrust
(J75 vice J57). Not sure, but don't think Deuce had variable inlet

either
(open to correction)

The six also had an area-ruled fuse, that is significant for a +mach bird.

Actually, Al, the 102 used area rule--the lack of area rule resulted in the
first protype YF-102 being firmly subsonic. Redesign to incorporate area
rule yielded the F-102A, which was our first supersonic interceptor.

Brooks

Al MInyard

OOOOPS, thanks for the correction, I was probably thinking of pictures
of the prototypes.

A;l Minyard