Old September 19th 03, 03:12 PM
Pete

Canada is good to us homebuilders. The only downside is the $0.70 Canadian
dollar.

We have an 'advanced ultralight' regulatory category which is a real
loophole for heavy two-passenger 'ultralights' - which are actually anything
under 1200lbs. Licensing for these can be a Rec pilot permit or
Ultralight-instructor rating.

For a homebuilt 1200lbs our regs are simlar to the US, but without the
liability issues, one extra pre-closeout inspection and the Rec pilot permit
makes life easier to fly anywhere in Canada with 1 passenger, non-complex,
day VFR only.

Cheers,
Pete
Europa A239

"Ed Wischmeyer" wrote in message
I currently live in the Netherlands and I'm looking to relocate.
I've long wanted to learn to fly and build a light (experimental and/or
ultralight) airplane and I'm wondering which countries would be well

suited
for that, economically and with regards to permits/licenses.

The US seems to be in the lead, but the Australian regulations just
loosened up a whole lot. Don't know about the relative cost of living,
taxes, and all that, or where the kits, fuel, etc, are cheaper. US
insurance and liability are out of control, though. Maybe somebody else

knows.

Ed Wischmeyer