Old August 26th 05, 03:52 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
ink.net...

"No Such User" wrote in message
In article 82sPe.279071$x96.34814@attbi_s72, Jay Honeck wrote:

http://www.fighterfactory.com/

I wonder if they're going to manufacture new Merlin engines, too?

...or 130 octane fuel?

With 100, take off MP is reduced to 45 inches from the normal 61 as it
is. If they bring back 80 again, we'll probably have to drop the damn
things from a mother ship and start them in a dive!!
:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Dudley Henriques

My understanding is that 100 octane was the best available at the
beginning of WWII, and due to capacity limitations on the high test stuff,
100 octane was the standard fuel for most of the bomber force in Europe
during the war, while the fighters got the higher octane stuff. In this
area, the allies had a huge advantage over the Axis, which relied on lower
octane brews.

Bottom line, Merlins run fine on 100LL, but can generate much more power
on 130 octane. Fortunately, the extra power isn't as necessary today,
because Mustangs are flown at much lower weights today than they were
during the war.

KB

Yes, I know. :-)

DH