Old January 15th 11, 01:07 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Sinclair[_2_] View Post
When I see the NTSB report 2 aircraft accidents at the same date, time
& place, it only means one thing. They came together in the air or on
the ground. On 12/20/10 in Madras Origon, a Taylorcraft and Cessna
came together while both were trying to land on runway16. The
Taylorcraft didn't have a radio! Please don't fly without a radio and
use it, Establish communication with your tow pilot by a simple com-
check like; Red tow this is JJ, how do you read? If I get a "loud and
clear", I know we can communicate if necessary. Next use your radio to
call entering the pattern, like "Madras traffic, glider JJ is entering
a left down-wind for runway 16 at Madras.

We lost 2 good men in Region 11 last year because the tow ship didn't
have a radio. Klem Bowman was killed in the Standard Class Nationals
when his stab fell and he didn't hear the call to release because he
was on the wrong frequency. An instructor died and his student was
severly injured when the battery went dead and they didn't hear the
tow pilot call, "Close your spoilers", a few years back at Minden.

The FAA hasn't seen fit to make radios mandatory, but we can put a
stop to this needless loss of life.Refuse to fly without a
radio.......... I believe proper use of the radio is nothing more than
good airmanship.

JJ Sinclair
I agree. I transitioned to gliders a bit over a year ago and will admit that I was somewhat concerned that the trainers and other rental aircraft available had no radios. I purchased my own hand held and carry it on each flight, doing a radio check with the tow plane prior to take off. While the standard signals from the tow plane and glider are fine, the addition of the radio makes things a bit safer. Returning to the pattern for landing and announcing one's intentions over the radio enhances the safety margin unless of course there are aircraft which cannot hear the announcement or make one themselves.

Even at uncontrolled fields, powered aircraft generally announce their position and intentions on unicom. Why do we in the glider world think things should be any different, especially when we can't do a go around on landing? We share our gliderport with a number of powered aircraft and while everyone seems to do a fine job, one never knows when someone isn't looking. Looking and listening and announcing your position and intentions only enhances the safety factor.

I am looking for a headset with a PTT set up for my hand held, one cannot be too safe.

After a few close calls in thermals with other gliders I have also added a parachute to my list of required items. Most of the privately owned glass ship pilots wear chutes, no reason why one in a rental should not.

Walt