Old November 15th 18, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Auto-retracting spool for auto-towing gliders?

For winch ops we built a little 6.5 hp retrieve winch with a 30 inch drum on a trailer years ago to pull back our winch line to the launch start point.. Small electric motors don’t perform over lengths of 5,000-6,000 ft (2000 M).

Suppose you could place the retrieve winch between the auto tow vehicle with an appropriate emergency guillotine, if you don’t have the payout winch type equipment. Rear spotter would have to be quick and vigilant to get all the line in before the chute hits the ground, but maybe with practice.

Works better on grass surfaces than rocks, sand and dirt because of the drag friction and wear as has been noted. We still keep the little retrieve winch for traveling to non airport sites, but it’s just way easier to land the chute six feet in front of the winch. Then, drive the whole winch back to the takeoff point, anchor and lay out the line with “zero” abrasion.

The Boy Scouts and grandkids love the retrieve winch for their wake boards and crossing the bay at the lake.

Karen