Old October 10th 18, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Shooting down UAVs

I was on tow, passing 1500 feet, when I saw what I thought was another sailplane about a mile ahead of us. Thought it was not a factor, but then the tow pilot kicked right rudder. Was wondering why he did that, when I saw a 10 foot model sailplane headed straight for my left wing! I rolled 90 degrees right and In a heartbeat, it passed within one wingspan of my head! The next morning I attended the AMA pilot meeting and discussed the incident. They were holding their national model soaring championships. They winch launched the models up to several hundred feet, then take off on course. Task that day was 15 miles with 2 turnpoints. Each pilot had a driver, spotter with the pilot seated in a recliner chair strapped in the back of a pickup. These guys are serious competitors! Hope the new rules don't put an end to a fascinating endeavor.
JJ