Old March 20th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc

Default KLN94 updates with Sandisk writer - unit-specific?

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:23:37 +0000, Peter
wrote:

The cards do that. It appears random to me. I can't seem to pinpoint
what prompts the change, but mine have changed a number of times since
the first card.

The question is whether the key change causes the previous download to
be trashed. I don't think it does. The thing is... next time you do a
DL you will be using a new key. If I was Honeywell, I would think that
somebody else is using this person's account!

I don't think Honeywell really cares. Good key, good card, we got
paid. If you can't keep your account's username and password secure,
oh well....

If it wasn't for this random key changing, every DL would use the same
key (because most KLN94 owners will not have a spare card).

I don't know why they change it. Doesn't make sense to me either but
I guess there has to be some reason behind it.

I've not seen a new loader which works with normal CF writers. As for
Win98 computers, does the loader require a DOS prompt like a BIOS
update or does it flash from Windows mode?

The win98 comment applies only to the SDDR31 *firmware* update. The
readme files make this clear. The database loader is claimed to work
under everything up to XP.

Yea, and I asked if it's a DOS mode app or a Windows app since if it's
DOS mode, a Win98 boot disk (like I use to flash motherboard BIOS
chips) with USB drivers would be sufficient to boot up and flash it.

My SDDR31 is already at v2.2 - my firmware update in 2003 must have
worked That was done under win98, not from any kind of DOS prompt
IIRC.

Interesting.

Honeywell's loader program does mention a PCMCIA CF writer as an
alternative to the SDDR31.

Unfortunately, the PCMCIA option doesn't work under any flavor of NT
or derivatives (a-la XP).

I've just installed the loader on yet another PC - a Dell Latitude
laptop, and the SDDR31 doesn't work at all. So I have just one PC (out
of 3) on which it works, and even then it works only on a direct
motherboard USB port. No hub, even a fully powered one, works with it.
The PCMCIA option could be interesting...

I haven't attempted to use a hub but haven't had a problem with the
SDDR on 3 Dell laptops, a Toshiba laptop, and 3 desktop (ABIT and Asus
motherboards) that I've done. Maybe it draws too much current for the
hub?

Speaking to other pilots, I think nearly all KLN94 users use the cable
update method, with very few using the SDDR31.

Without a docking station that must be fun in the winter. 15-20min to
load to the GPS, then another 10-15 to copy to internal flash.... do
they still have enough juice to crank the engine without a jump when
they're done?