Old December 14th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

Default Contact Approach -- WX reporting

If visibility is at
1 mile, I think I would rather just fly the approach than pick around
for the airport in those conditions - too risky. Where is the
advantage? Following other traffic visually?

It could shorten the time in the air. Some approaches require a ten
mile detour. In low vis, you could be vectored over the airport and
request a contact approach. Boom, you're down. Otherwise, it's out to
the IAF, be vectored around due to traffic... finally get down ten
minutes later just as fog rolls in.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).