Old May 23rd 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

Default Next step(s) in purchase?

Doug,
Good for you!

I would double check the insurance cost and the insurance company's
checkout requirements before going further. My insurance company
increased both between my initial informal quote and when I finally
bought my bonanza. Just unlucky timing.

When I sold my citabria I simply flew the plane to an airport convenient
to both me and the seller and had a friend pick me up there. The buyer
paid with a certified check. It was only a couple of hundred miles
away so it was an easy trip. When I bought my bonanza I paid the
seller's costs to fly the plane out to me and for his return ticket back
to Utah. You may want to explore those options. I did try to find a
local CFI to fly out with me to pick up the airplane but I couldn't find
one with enough Bo time that was available for a few days. Your
insurance company may want to know that your instructor has time in the
TB20. Talk to your insurance company about that. If something bad
happens and the insurance company determines that the CFI wasn't
qualified it could get ugly. I also tried to get a Bo check out prior
to getting the airplane but it's tough to find places that rent high
performance airplanes.

You really need an independent third party to look at the airplane,
particularly since it's complex and relatively uncommon. Before I
bought the Bo I hired an experienced mechanic recommended by the
american bonanza society to fly out and inspect the airplane. He helped
me immensely but even he missed a few items. Maybe the folks at the
Socota.org website can recommend someone that is a TB20 expert.

Make sure that the price you're paying is realistic. If it's too cheap
there's probably a bad reason for it - not always but be wary.

Get the AOPA title search done early - they can turn it around in a day
if the records are available. Unfortunately, for many different
reasons, the records may not be available. This happened to me on one
airplane I was considering so don't wait until the last minute.

I think I wrote about this when you first posted about buying - try to
find an airplane with the avionics you want already installed. The
return on avionics installations is peanuts. I was told that when I
first started shopping for a complex airplane and I found that it is true.

Lastly - don't be afraid to spend money upfront on title searches,
inspections, etc. In the long run, it's the best money you'll spend on
the airplane.

Dave
M35

Douglas Paterson wrote:
Hello, R.A.O.!

I'm returning to the well, hoping to continue a trend. If you recall (or
care to research) the messages I've posted over the last year or so, you'll
find I've been getting some great advice and stimulating discussion on
selecting an airplane (my first). After considering all inputs and my own
desires & mission, I've decided to go for... the TB-20 Socata "Trinidad."

So, for the last several months, I've been electronically kicking tires of
the various examples I've seen online. I've been exercising the patience
everyone here agreed I'd need (about the only thing in wide agreement!), but
now I've seen one that I'm ready to take the next step(s) on (read:
actually spend money on travel, pre-buy, etc.). I hardly know where to
begin, so I'm hoping to continue on the goodwill of the group. (Besides, I
hear Jay is throwing a hell of a party at OSH, so I'd better hurry up & pay
the cover charge! )

Here are the things I "think" I need to do, in what I "think" is appropriate
chronological order. Process stops at any step that results in a no-go.
Comments, changes, additions, deletions--all are welcome, please!!