Old January 19th 04, 11:47 PM
Dual Controls

Bob wrote,
Yes, definitely, the weight & balance section is definitely and area
that an inspector is subject to check. Whether he (or she) will check it
or not is a crapshoot. Further than that, as far as the "checkboxe"s are
concerned I'm not quite sure if you are asking me a question or what you
are asking.

Hi Bob
Not asking any questions, just responding with what I
recalled on the operations of removing dual flight controls.

Few weight and balance sheets are exactly the same. I will ASSume that
if the check box next to dual controls is checked, that would mean that
that aircraft WAS WEIGHED with the duals installed. If subsequently
removed, then the weight, station, and moment of the duals would need to
be known in order to correctly re-calculate W & B. I would say that on
most aircraft, that change is negligible whether they're in or out. BUT
it is a required (and many more times than not, a neglected) calculation
on installation and removal after the "as weighed" CG has been
determined. Pilots make weight and balance recalculations all the time.
My comments earlier in this thread were regarding WHO is authorized to
install and remove the duals. Anyone performing the task must be
following a PROCEDURE. Where is the procedure? As I said, it's probably
in the Maintenance Manual, making it a Maintenance procedure. Mechanics
are supposed to make flight manual entries for W & B also. There would
be a certificate number entry possibility. Hope this helped!
Bob

Yes you are correct, it takes an a/p to sign off the installation.
The check boxs I was referring to was sep up in our flight manuals
either on the equipment list ( items a/c was weighed with ) or form C.
There was an IN and Out box with the weight and arm of the item listed.
Remove an item and you check the out box and recalculate the W & B ,
reverse for the installation.
You should be able to find the procedure under chapter 27 ( flight
controls ) in the maintenance manual.
As you say this procedure is usually neglected about as much as removing
the doors which also weigh little but to be legal should be figured into
the W & B.
Roy