Old July 6th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Chuck Charlton

Default Which airliners have flown supersonic?

In article
,
Bruce W wrote:

When I was a child, around 1961, I remember airliners making sonic
booms when they flew over, and the windows on our house would rattle.
Of course this is illegal today.

What I can't figure out is what types of airline airplanes flew
supersonic. The Boeing 707 cannot fly supersonic.

Does anyone know what types of airplanes used to fly faster than the
speed of sound?

Thanks for your help.

Around 1960 the military regularly made sonic booms over cities in an
attempt to convince people that sonic booms were a normal part of daily
life, so that SSTs would become acceptable over occupied land. It
didn't work. People really didn't like it.

On the other hand, there was the time a DC-8 went supersonic. There
was even a press release about the event.