Old October 9th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

Default Control surface repair legal? Part II

maybe some knows for sure but usually when a company backdoors itself
and recreates itself with a somewhat new name then it has built a
chinese wall between the new company and the old one. therefore the new
piper would have no responsibility or liability regarding the old piper
and thus no standing on your core question.

dan
wrote:
Stache wrote:
: The bottom line is the Federal Aviation Rules (FAR). The FAR are
: public law under Title 49 and in Title 49, part 43, Section 43.13(a) it
: states: Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive
: maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use
: the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current
: manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued
: Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods,
: techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, except as
: noted in ??43.16.

: What this means is the person who repairs or maintains an aircraft MUST
: follow the current maintenance manual period. If something is not in
: the manual you cannot do it unless approved by the FAA Administrator.
: If a Piper representative says you cannot do something they are wrong
: unless it so states it in the maintenance manual. If the repair manual
: shows a repair for the control surfaces which it does the mechanic can
: perform it because Section 43.13(a) says so (it the law).

: Sorry but Piper is all wet on this issue if they did state such a
: thing. I would bet the Piper Company would not put it in writing and
: give it to your mechanic would they?

: Stache

I don't know that my mechanic asked to get it in writing. Now that you
mention it, that's an interesting way to go about it. If Piper maintains this
position "on the record," that means that their maintenance manual must be revised to
be in-line.

I do not fault my IA for his position. He's very good being on the flexible
side of allowable interpretations for my benefit. When it's a judegment call, he and
I make it together WRT my airplane. I'm sure the reason he's hard-nosed about this
one is because the factory rep spewed the lawyer-eese CYA approach.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *