Old January 27th 05, 05:32 PM
Daniel L. Lieberman

"George Patterson" wrote in message

gatt wrote:

"...those who will forgot to lower their landing gear."

Was told this by a guest instructor. I'm not at all comfortable with
this.

Thoughts?

One of the AOPA Pilot writers put it very well. He wrote that, if this
statement
were actually true, the best thing for someone transitioning to
retractable gear
would be to do a gear-up landing immediately and get it over with.

George Patterson
He who marries for money earns every penny of it.

If you use a written checklist EVERY time and form the habit of doing a
safety check on final EVERY time this should never happen.

I have caught a failure of the gear to lower on a final safety check which
proves the necessity for the safety check. (The instructor had pulled the
gear lowering circuit breaker and I had not looked back when doing the GUMPS
check to check the light. I had also failed to look out the window and ask
the instructor to verify that the right hand gear was down.) That is what
the final safety check is for.

Has anyone heard of an accidental gear up landing during a part 135
operation? I believe the PTS requirement for the Commercial Checkride of
using an appropriate check list helps prevent this problem. Also there is -
at least in a 172RG - a gear up warning horn.

http://www.usenet.com