Old January 27th 05, 07:03 PM
Maule Driver

I've always understood the message in that saying to be, "never think
you've become so proficient that you are not subject to leaving the gear
up" Not fatalistic but a warning to the wise.

A corollary: "Whatever your method for remembering to get the gear down,
remember no method is foolproof."

Bob G said that "IMHO saying (internally) something like "three greens"
at least twice before short final should eliminate the possibility of
landing gear up. Worked for me." I'd say, "so far..." with
considerable respect Bob..

There's always SOMETHING that can screw up your short final planning
(e.g. bird strike, a streaker) and cause you to forget. If you haven't
seen that SOMETHING yet, just keep living.

I almost did it in my glider despite a foolproof method that worked for
1000 hours and hundreds of non-standard patterns and landings.
Fortunately it happened during a contest and an observant ground crew
radioed me 10 feet off the ground.

gatt wrote:
"...those who will forgot to lower their landing gear."

Was told this by a guest instructor. I'm not at all comfortable with this.

Thoughts?

-c