Old November 9th 05, 03:08 AM
Mitty

Default IFR with a VFR GPS

Lately it seems like when I am in a /A airplane ATC assumes I have a hand-held
(sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) and gives me direct routing without my asking.

Then, flying into Winnipeg yesterday /G I got direct routing to a waypoint that
wasn't in the G430! Some days you can't win!

On 11/8/2005 7:51 PM, Wizard of Draws wrote the following:
OK, I broke down and sprung for the Lowrance Airmap 2000c instead of the
1000. Wow.

Normally I rent a plane that has a panel-mounted IFR certified Garmin 430,
but that may change due to circumstances beyond my control in a few months.

Obviously I can't file /G IFR without a proper IFR GPS, but this one will be
used as a backup and for cross-reference at the very least.

So...do I tell a briefer to note that I have a VFR GPS and will the
controllers take note, sending me direct, off airways? Will it make any
difference to them at all? Given the fact that nearly everyone has one
nowadays, will they assume I have a GPS even if I don't indicate it?