Old August 16th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

Default Angel Flight Down

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:05:40 GMT, "James M. Knox"
wrote:

wrote in news:c6ae186a-5cea-4758-9797-3356c21211f2
:

A patient being flown to Boston's Dana Farber was aboard. The flight
originated on Long Island NY's South Fork.

This seems like an extreme case of no good deed going unpunished.

Unfortunately, there is not much information, and there may not be much in
the future. This is (as best as I can tell with what is known) not a case
of scud running, not a case of going below miminums on approach, etc. And
if the one report is correct, not a case of engine failure.

Best guess... and this is NOTHING but idle speculation... he may have lost
his electrical system, and with it, all his navigation and radio gear. The
reports are consistent with someone looking for a place to land, not
knowing where he was.

As far as I know there were recorded radio comms, including
acknowledgements to alerts of low altitude, pretty much up to the end.
Reports are he came down in a nose-down spiral out of the clouds. I'll
leave it up to the NTSB to make conclusions.