Old November 16th 12, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

Default Throttle or Prop control first after takeoff

In article ,
"Charlie Gibbs" wrote:

In article ,
(dcd) writes:

On Saturday, March 7, 2009 9:41:21 AM UTC-8, Danny Deger wrote:

The POH on my 1941 Taylorcraft doesn't say a thing about when to
adjust the prop :-)

I didn't think the 1941 Taylorcraft came with a POH? Do you still
have it?

I once managed to purchase a new POH for my 1961 172B. But it
doesn't say anything about when to adjust the prop either.

As for planes with constant-speed props, my rule on takeoff is to
bring back the power first - although this shouldn't be necessary
if the airport is at 5000 feet. :-)

I have a controllable Hartzell (no governor), so I have to adjust the
RPM so as not to overspeed the prop, leaving full throttle on takeoff.

The "throttle before prop" is a holdover from military days, when those
airplanes had superchargers, which would allow for overboosting the
cylinders, sometimes with disastrous outcomes.

Normally-aspirated engines are quite tolerant of reasonable RPM
reductions, while maintaining full throttle. Just look at those planes
with fixed-pitch cruise props -- the only control you have is the
throttle, and they allow full throttle on takeoff.