Old March 12th 04, 02:51 PM
Maule Driver

I switched from gliders (lot's of racing and cc) to planes about 5-6 years
ago. Always thought I would ultimately like to do both but time and
situation changed... I ended up buying and flying a Maule.

I would suggest not buying yet.

Anything is cheaper than owning. But owning is definitely worth it if you
want the freedom it provides.

Unless the financial commitment is not an issue, it may make sense to fly
more, experience more, and figure out what you really want to do. And
figure out what various a/c have to offer. Then buy.

In my case, I envisioned just punching holes around the residential airpark
we moved too. I was thinking Citabria. My mate said, "where will my bags
go?" I explained that a 2 place is a 1 place + bags and that a 4 place is a
2 place with bags. "Then we need a 4 place". I couldn't envision really
doing that much serious travel but couldn't resist the logic.

Turned out that the combination of living with the a/c, owning, and new
friends 120 road miles away made short distance, frequent travel the main
mission. The Maule fit perfectly. I NEVER go and punch holes, I did go get
an instrument ticket, commercial, etc. Now we are interested in seeing
friends in FL and NY more often so something faster would make sense but the
short trip works so well...

Sold the glider and never regretted it (totally unexpected). Travel a lot
(totally unexpected). Never go to airshows, $100 breakfasts, and such
(totally unexpected). The point is, it took awhile and some collaboration
before the right mount could be chosen.

That's my .02cents.

"Shirley" wrote in message
Anyone here buy their own airplane to do their training in before being
licensed? I am a glider pilot transitioning to power. Any
suggestions/recommendations, advice, cautions? Thanks in advance.