Old February 25th 04, 08:14 PM
Krztalizer

The end result to all of this is that any governmental perks given to
"traditional married couples" will be dismantled and I have to agree with it as
a logical progression of the current situation.

TMC's get certain perks, such as tax breaks and survivor benefits, based on
thousands-of-years-old religious ideas - the next step is to alter the idea
into a modern partnership, open to all and with matching benefits to all. What
it won't be any longer is a *marriage* in the traditional sense. The evolution
of this will continue, as next, single people will decide they don't want
married folks to get additional benefits that they themselves do not earn. No
amount of constitutional one-liner alterations will control this natural
progression and in the end, a hundred years or so down the road, our great
grandkids are going to wonder what was so special about the quaint old notion
of "marriage".