View Single Post
Old June 2nd 15, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Default Debunking Glider Spoiler Turns Causing Spin Thinking

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 11:48:56 AM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:

When watching the video I grimaced when I saw the spoilers open on downwind and base on every landing even though the glider was well below normal pattern altitude. In this situation, the spoilers should remain closed until the glider is stabilized on a short final approach.

It's fascinating reading about all the different ways people are taught to land gliders.

I was taught to check spoilers on downwind (so you can adjust if either the lock full open, or don't open at all), then about abeam the touchdown point, pull on 1/3 to 1/2 spoilers (depending on how effective they are) and fly the pattern, trying to not change spoiler setting until landing. BUT - If low, less or close, if high, more and slip. In my LS6, I set the flaps to landing (or less, if the wind is strong) on downwind and don't worry about them anymore until after touchdown.

I also like the military style "180" single turn pattern, especially if the pattern is low and tight (like say after a "low pass").

I also prefer a fast pattern, slowing down once on final - but again that is glider-specific.

And of course, ALWAYS adjust for your actual altitude/energy state and do what is needed to land safely!

Bottom line, I think it helps to get everything set on downwind (gear, flaps, initial spoiler setting, airspeed) then concentrate on flying a safe pattern. To me, messing with flaps and spoilers while making base and final turns and changing aircraft configuration throughout the pattern is asking for trouble (see all the ASW-20s that crashed early on with the gear cycling on final, ex-Libelle pilots thinking they were pulling the spoilers!)

Finally - I detest big, high, long final patterns. Why? The longer the pattern, the more chance something can get messed up. 1000' on downwind is absurd! Get in tight at 600' or so, two (or one) tight turns to final, land.

Because when you start landing out, at 1000' you should still be trying to thermal away (with a field picked out), and when you do have to set up your pattern, you will be low and close - so you can see what you are getting into!

Kirk