Old July 22nd 03, 02:52 AM
Ernest Christley

Default "Understanding Aircraft Composite Construction"

Is anyone familiar with this book, or if there is a better selection out
there to help me decide how large to make my wing ribs?

http://www.aeronautpress.com/book1prev5.htm

The ribs of the Dyke Delta are composed of a stainless steel rib cap
made of .015 thick 321 stainless. It's formed into a U channel with the
sides being double thickness. The bottom of the U is not square, but
must maintain a 4 degree offset.

The rib struts are made of 3/8" piper channel, and everything is held
together and to the spars with nickel-silver brazing. The fiberglass
wing skin is then riveted to the rib caps.

John Dyke, the designer, is on record that the structure could possibly
be made lighter and stronger through the use of more composites. What I
want to investigate is how big I would need to make a composite hat
section to equal the strength of the stainless rib cap, and how big
would a box channel be to equal the piper channel's strength. From that
I can calculate the weight tradeoff, and hopefull have a much easier
construction effort.

PS. My brazing doesn't look so good.
--
----Because I can----