Old September 15th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
flynrider via AviationKB.com

Default Eclipse Loses Part

Vaughn Simon wrote:
There is lots of "wiggle room". Since no $ amount is specified in
the definition of "substantial damage", an intact ditched plane could easily be
(at least arguably) non-reportable even though the actual damage may exceed the
value of the aircraft. Remember; engine failure, engine damage, prop damage,
skin damage, fabric damage, fairings & landing gear and much more are
specifically exempted.

In real life, if the FAA found out about it, I doubt they would concur with
your interpretation. If the aircraft is a total loss (which is likely
following a ditching), I can't see them agreeing that no "substantial
damage" took place.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)