Old May 12th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Don't fly weather briefing

On May 12, 4:34 pm, "Danny Deger" wrote:
Has anyone else noticed a tendency for FSS briefers to give you a "stay on
the ground" weather briefing for isolated thunderstorms? 90% of the time on
a summer day in Texas there are some storms. Usually easy to see and avoid.
But I have in the past had a controller that obviously didn't want me to
fly. The worst case was a VFR flight between Houston and Austin with a
single cell between the two cities. All the controller would tell me about
was how bad the weather in the cell was. He refused to provide me with any
weather information outside of the cell. I ended by hanging up and calling
back. The next briefer told me about the very good weather outside of the
single cell and I had a good flight. This is only the worst of my
experiences with briefers and thunderstorms.

Anyone else had a similar issue with a briefer not doing his job because
he/she thought you shouldn't fly that day.

Danny Deger

You just need to be direct. "Do you not have weather outside of the
cell or are you refusing to give me weather outside of the cell".

-Robert