Old May 12th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

Default Don't fly weather briefing

On May 12, 6:34 pm, "Danny Deger" wrote:

Anyone else had a similar issue with a briefer not doing his job because
he/she thought you shouldn't fly that day.

Danny Deger

Danny

This gets me into my stick about "VFR not recommended". This is an
old phrase but it has never really grown on me.

The trick I have found in a wx BF is to act as if you are in the
plane, ie take control of it in terms of the information that you are
seeking. DeRidder is really very good at what they do and back home
in the states I call them wherever I am (and will miss them when they
are gone).

Not knowing what you were told, but in a case like yours my response
would have been "So its reasonable to say that I can work my way
around this one isolated thunderstorm VFR or what makes you interpret
the information different then I do?"

Most briefers are very good, and some are not. A possibility is that
this guy/gal just got a pirep from someone who has had a bad
experience and was trying to convey that.

Some years ago I was coming back to Houston from Dallas and I started
out VFR. I had a briefing which seemed to be "moderate" VFR was solid
all the way to Houston. By the time I got to Corsicana (spell)
moderate had dropped to low. They stayed "low" until I got near
Madisonville and I was working very hard to stay VFR and wondering why
I had not just filed and gone. Finally around Madisonville things
went back to moderate and I drove on in.

As I got near Houston I got Montgomery county on the line and fed them
some info about the bad weather. Landing at Pearland a "friend" was
going to retrace my route (quite by circumstance). He told me that
the briefer had been really down about his odds of making it VFR
because of a PIREP from a guy in a 175. I told him "Yeah I know that
was me!"

The guy went anyway VFR (he could file if he had to) and said later
the WX was solid VFR 3000 or so on the clouds (it was the ceiling that
was the problem). Depends on the time I guess.

Robert