Old September 11th 19, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Kawa rough landing?

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 6:08:48 PM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 5:36:27 PM UTC-4, Richard DalCanto wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 9:15:24 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 11:09:12 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 7:45:04 AM UTC-4, Peter F wrote:
At 08:05 10 September 2019, krasw wrote:
There has been FES selflauncher accident because powerplant failure and
one
really close call. They aren't any better.

Can you provide links to these incidents?

I would expect them to ba at least 1 order of magnitude better than the
traditional turbo.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...relim&IType=LA

oh, and of course...
http://sustainableskies.org/two-batt...ng-sailplanes/

T8

The two battery fires you linked to were with old style battery packs, and from the information available from FES, the problems have been addressed. So why post this? Are you trying to scare pilots away from potentially safer electric options for some reason?

And the manufacturers were saying what, exactly, when those fire starters were offered for sale? Were they saying "oh, we haven't really worked out all the bugs yet and these might catch fire?" No, of course not. They were wrong about their product then. You say they think they've fixed it now.. Pardon me for being ever so slightly skeptical.

T8

Here is the unvarnished truth: if you buy a newly designed MG you are, in effect, a test pilot. These aircraft have not been thru the testing regime that certificated a/c go thru. If you are worried about this, wait 4-5 years before buying a new model. In particular, battery design is not an art that has withstood the test of time. That said, some manufacturers are more diligent than others at the design and testing process.

Tom