Old December 21st 03, 04:35 PM
Kyle Boatright

"DBoyd" wrote in message
t...
A remake? Wow. In my eyes it will be tough to replace the acting of

Jimmy
Stewart.

Yes, Paul Mantz was killed during the filming. I believe it was during a
takeoff attempt. As the closing credit say......"A fine man......"

DBoyd
Fredericksburg, VA

Mantz was killed on a landing attempt when the landing gear hit a slight
dune or sand drift. The aft fuselage broke off, the aircraft nosed over,
and Mantz was killed in the esuing tumble. A second man, who was flying as
an observer or co-pilot, survived. If you google hard, you might find a few
still pictures of the crash. I've seen a couple in print over the years.

KB