Old December 12th 03, 12:15 AM
Rich S.

I remember flying over Los Angeles 30 years ago in my Ercoupe. I had flown
non-stop from San Francisco and was dreadfully low on fuel. I was also lost
in the smog. I could see the ground under me but everything around me was an
even brown-grey color. Finally, I spotted Disneyland! Yahoo!! Now to get to
Orange County. I set a compass heading and noted the time and speed.

After a few minutes the engine seemed to burp. Was this it? were the tanks
finally dry? Ahead of me, barely visible through the haze was El Toro Marine
Air Station. I called the tower and asked if I could land, describing my
plight. They said, "Sure, lil' guy, c'mon down. Of course, you'll have to
take that Ercoupe apart and truck it out. . . "

I went on to find Orange County (John Wayne to you kids). I told the tower I
was critical on fuel and they said, "Roger, you're number 17 on downwind."
Well, I made it to the ramp and actually had enough fuel that I needed to
kill the mags to stop that faithful little Continental. When the fuel truck
got done, I did the math. I had less than a gallon on board.

I hope Johanson brought his socket set with him.

Rich "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger" S.