Old July 5th 04, 03:53 AM
Papa3

One additional observation - depending on exactly when in the
auto-rotation/pitch oscillation cycle the recovery inputs take affect, it
can feel like the ship is going inverted. In other words, it feels like the
nose swings down past vertical before back pressure is applied to recover
once the rotation is arrested. I flew a friend's 20C several times and
tested a bunch of spins from different entry modes, and this was the only
slightly uncomfortable moment. In this case, the ship was equipped with
winglets and the CG was only at about 50 aft CG limit. Not sure whether
this is typical for this combination of ship/configuration.

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
m...
Ventus B wrote:
I have been considering buying an ASW20, ASW20B, or ASW20C. I knew
they were champions in their day and still have a lot of admirers.
However a few folks from my club say they have some nasty spin
characteristics. Specifically, that they have a tendancy to not only
immediately spin when stalled, but will go inverted as they spin. Can
anyone eloborate or corroborate? I normally only hear good things
about the 20.

I owned a 20B, and it was once of the nicest handling and benign gliders
that I've owned. It would spin, but it would take some abuse, even with
the CG near the aft limit. The 20C apparently has similar handling
characteristics. Some (but not all) of the earlier 20 (aka 20A) ships
are reputedly somewhat less forgiving. Get too slow, and they will
stall and spin rather promptly, with very little warning. I've never
experienced going inverted in a spin, but they will do over the top spin
entries (outside wing drops, and the glider rolls inverted before
settling into a normal spin), which confuses those who haven't
experienced them before.

In any case, the 20B (best for strong conditions) and 20C are preferred,
as they have automatic elevator hookups, tilt-up instrument panels, and
better cockpit ventilation. If you've flown a flapped glider (like a
Ventus B), you'll have no problems with them. If you want to buy an
original 20, talk to some of the past owners, if you can, to get an
assessment of that particular ships quirks.

Marc