Old April 16th 19, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Jonker JS-3 in Sagebrush

Not the first bird in the sagebrush with spoilers out at Minden..........we got a 20B that was totaled there. Spoilers not locked and sucked open on takeoff! Pilot never did figure it out and put it in the sagebrush, shortly after release. I have made it routine to peek over my shoulder at 300 feet just to insure they are closed. Same on landing when I pull them, just to make sure they both are operating after a DG driver had only one spoiler deploy at Truckee, years ago. Mustle-memory is REAL, it became normal to shove the stick forward, after touchdown in the Genesis-2 in order to get the nose-wheel on the pavement while aiming straight down the runway. After 1000 hours of doing this, I flew an LS3a..........yep, I touched the nose on the pavement because muscle memory told me to shove the stick forward after touchdown. OK, lesson learned, right? Nope, I did it a second time!
The older we get, the more vigilant we must become!
JJ
PS, I’m thinking spoiler detent’s may be just asking for trouble? Better to keep your hand on the spoiler handle as long as you want them and still need them?