Old April 16th 19, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Deane[_2_]

Default Jonker JS-3 in Sagebrush

JJ - as explained to me by Uys, the idea of the spoiler detent is so that you can secure spoilers open on the landing roll so you dont have to let spoilers close while changing to negative flaps with the same hand and potentially ballooning.

They arent really intended for 'select and leave' in the air - which I would not recommend anyway. The spoilers are adjustable in the normal way, the pilot has the option of setting them in a detente or not.

Just wanted to clear up this little red herring on how they are intended to be used, and how they actually work.

I did not experience any issue with the spoiler detent use, and flew my test flight pattern with spoilers adjusted in the normal way.

2T