Old April 25th 20, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]

Default Glider Purchase Procedure - Annual & Pre Purchase Inspection?

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 2:34:53 PM UTC-7, NMD wrote:
Hello,
I am closing in on my first glider purchase and have narrowed it down to three.

What is a safe purchase procedure for an older glider? Two are LS3's and one is an LS3A. All have been refinished in PU.

Is a new annual sufficient or it is advisable to have a pre-purchase inspection as well?

If an additional purchase inspection I would assume it would be prudent to have a 2nd A&P do it? 2 sets of eyes can’t hurt?
How thorough is a common annual and/or purchase inspection? Is a written report produced, similar to a Boat survey?

In addition to the commonly discussed items including damage history, exterior finish, and trailer condition, what are typical issues, pit falls, and specifics to look out for with an older glider?

New pilot, first ship, and I want to avoid spending more than the purchase price on repairs & maintenance.
Or is this inevitable and a false economy? Should I be 2X / 3X'ing my budget and considering a newer ship?

Thank you in advance for the replies! Jason

Having bought an LS3a almost to the day last year I went through a similar thought process. also a PU finish by JJ who is the supreme master. The ultimate choice is yours - The LS3A is a fine ship and will hold its value. I went through a prebuy and it was worth it.Repairs and maintenance comes with the territory.
The price depends a LOT on how it is equipped and how much you will have to spend to make it FAA and contest legal.
Best of luck on your new ship