Old September 7th 04, 07:53 AM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:51:16 GMT, "Dude" wrote:

For 1-3 hour trips, I wouldn't spend anything (well, not $1,000
anyway) to go faster.

I fly a B model 170. All my flying buds own 180s (or 182s). On a one
hour trip, I'm 15 minutes behind them when I show up (they're just
pulling beers out of their coolers), two hour trip, perhaps 25-30
minutes, etc. I burn 7.? gallons per hour. They burn 14 (or more).
When my airplane breaks, a C-note gets it going again. When theirs
breaks, it's more like 5 C-notes.

I could put a cruise prop on my airplane, little baby tires and wheel
pants, perhaps try to trim a few pounds off of it and then it'd cruise
at 118-120 mph instead of 112 mph (I've got a climb prop on mine
and 850 tires).

Bottom line, if you bought every speed mod available for your type
of airplane, the cost to do so might be tough to justify over the
long-run. In my cause, it would be cheaper to pass the 170 on
to someone else who will enjoy it for what it is and go out and buy
a bone-stock (early) C-180.

Bela P. Havasreti

I got an idea from a recent thread.

I would like to know what you guys would spend to go a little faster. This
would seem to be interesting information, and a fun topic.

Please note the present speed of your plane, because 5 knots means a lot
more at 100 than 200.

Personally, It seems to me that a speed mod less than $1,000 a knot is
likely a good deal. I presently fly about 142 in a hurry, and 120 when I am
not.

I know the people selling the mods often over advertise, but lets assume we
know the real increase of a given mod from an expert. What's it worth to
you?