Old March 30th 04, 06:03 PM
John Hairell

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:24:14 +0000 (UTC), Merlin Dorfman
wrote:

Please see http://mdorfman.home.netcom.com/gca-1.jpg,
http://mdorfman.home.netcom.com/gca-2.jpg, and
http://mdorfman.home.netcom.com/gca-3.jpg. These pictures were
taken at Melbourne (Tullamarine) airport, Australia, on March 17.
They are the best I could do from an airplane window at that
distance.
They appear to me to be obsolete World War II-era Ground Control
Approach radars...any other thoughts on what they might be?

I used to be a GCA controller and have never seen anything like these.
The WW2 types of GCAs were in boxy vans or enclosures and don't look
the same, at least not the ones I've seen photos of. The antennas
shown do appear to have capabilities similar to GCA, i.e. the curved
antenna would provide a horizontal scanning capability but only in one
direction, and the vertical antenna could have a height-finding
capability. The interesting part of the bigger antenna is the large
vertical contraption at the end of the two struts where the feed horns
normally would be. Also, what is the third device at the left behind
the shed?

Might this be part of some sort of air defense/GCI network or
meteorological radar?

John Hairell