Old February 24th 17, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default looking for a set of ASW 19 ailerons

You're going to have a lot more success if you say where in the world you are.

It would also be nice to know what sort of distortion you're talking about. If they're twisted or unusually bent, that could be a problem. But if they've just got a lot of small dents wrinkles, or waves, that's just the way they tend to look after a few decades.

Except when they are brand new, flaps and ailerons for ASW 19 and the like will always be pretty gnarly looking. In order to give them enough bending flex so they can follow the wings as they bend, they have to be very lightly built. So they tend not to be very rugged, and they tend to get wavy as they age. It looks kind of sad, but I've never known one to be unflightworthy because of it.

When I tore apart an ASW20 flap section a while back, I found that the basic layup was two plies of +/-45-deg. 2oz Kevlar separated by ~1/8" (3mm) Rohacell foam. The leading edge area at the upper and lower pivot radii was two piece of solid spanwise balsa joined with a shmoo bar joint. Except for that leading edge, there just isn't much there there. For contrast, most wing skins from that era have about ~9oz fiberglass on the outside, ~1/4 (6mm) of PVC foam, and ~5oz of fiberglass on the inside of the foam.

Thanks, Bob K.
https://www.facebook.com/HP-24-Sailp...-200931354951/