Old July 24th 18, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Ventus 3F - Fatal

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 1:23:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:
One last time... FLARM does not need, nor does it record airspeed, for a simple reason: airspeed cannot be used to calculate closure rates between your aircraft and others, or ground obstructions. It works entirely from GPS fixes. It only uses a pressure sensor to enhance altitude data, but does not strictly need it. To my knowledge, no FLARM devices have inputs for airspeed.

Read the manual, folks. It's all documented there, in great detail.

Alarm doesn't record airspeed, but some flight computers do. I know the LXNav records airspeed, flap position ...etc. perhaps this brand new glider had a modern flight computer?