Old December 4th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Landing speeds for naval aircraft?

Ian MacLure wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

[snip]

Yep, I was there in VF-151 when those 2 landed during the North Pacific
'Fun-Ex'....Midway-maru had more acreage that FID, BTW-BUT Midway
always felt like it was 'small'...

Well it is a WWII design.
Much modified to be sure but WWII nonetheless.
Straight deck until 1955-57.
I expect if you told the guys building it that the ship would
one day be landing on aircraft heavier than a B-17 they'd have
though you were nuts.

IBM

Midway was wide, not much longer than any of them...so in the groove,
it always looked 'small'...plus 3 wires, smaller hook to ramp for the
F-4 than others....small....BUT when flying Turkeys off the 'FID", that
seemed small also....When I got some traps on Kenneerdy, Ike,
Nimitz...Turkey..they seemed huge but they also didn't have an airwing
aboard.

I think part of it was when they parked A/C on the left side of the
landing area...not on the Forrestal class but all the others.