Old February 8th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

Default 60 degree Mopar V6 for homebuilt?

"Peter Dohm" wrote

I am not quite sure why, but rumors suggest that the _modern_ overhead cam
and multi-valve engines are far less tolerant of sloppy or deferred
maintenance than most older designs.

If this is the engine I am thinking of, there has to be a special low coking
oil used, or the cam chain tensioner suddenly loses its ability to maintain
tension, and the whole thing flies apart, catastrophically for the further
running of the engine. Regular oil, even changed every 3K miles will not
cut it.

That does not sound like a normal tolerance for maintenance, but rather, a
design with poor engineering. I feel equal apprehension involving all of
Chrysler's engines, until proven otherwise.

I have know other people with major engine problems with engines that have
had regular oil changes, and all recommended maintenance. There are more
than isolated instances of engine failure, IMHO.

Ford and GM, and a few other manufacturers have had extensive experience
racing their engines. Weak links appear, and are corrected. Racing more
closely duplicates the types of abuse we subject our engines to, in
airplanes.

Until Chrysler starts racing more engine lines, I don't see my confidence
level in their engines changing very much.
--
Jim in NC