Old January 10th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default aerial photography (was Stop Making Sense)

For 'high end cameras".....
I recently got Canon 20D (I've been a camera nut and Canon user for MANY years)
and am very happy with it. I do definitely recommend the new breed of "Image
Stabilized" lenses or cameras. For example, I have a 17 - 85 mm stabilized lens on
my 20D and the few aerials I've taken so far have been impressive. (I don't have
any on a web site yet.. will work on that). The stabilization greatly reduces the
effect of the typical airplane vibration. (doesn't help with the dirty Plexiglas or
reflections though...)

Mike Happy 20D and Archer II owner.

John Clear wrote:
In article ,
Maule Driver wrote:

That is some very clear photography (no pun intended). Did you shoot
thru the plexi or was something open? Nice shots.

Most are through the vent window on a Cherokee. In the batch from
Sunday, you can see the edge of the window in a few of the shots.
The shots of SFO and downtown from the south were through the
plexiglass.

I really want to get a higher end camera. Those pics were shot
with a point and shoot Canon 3MP camera (A75). A coworker I take
flying sometimes has a 8MP DSLR (Canon 20D, iirc), and gets mad
because I usually get better pictures. I guess I just have a better
eye for picking shots.

This is one of my favorite shots (and my desktop background):
http://www.clear-prop.org/images/sunset.jpg
(Details: April 13, 2005, 6:00pm PST, 3000ft, just north of Santa
Cruz, only picture I took on that flight)

Went thru you site and re-read Al Haynes talk about the DC10 in Souix
City. Wow! I forgot just how amazing it was. In particular, none of
the crew actually flew the plan - an onboard instructor did. Just
fantastic. Recommended re-read for any and all.

I re-read that about once a year or so. It is an amazing story of
not giving up and keep flying the plane, or what is left of it.
Al Haynes kind of did fly the plane. Instead of cables/hydraulics,
his movements of the yoke were acted on by the instructor pilot.
The fact that all the crew that tried what they did in the simulator
all ended up crashing shows just how lucky they were.

John