Old March 30th 10, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default barnyard, its on your head....

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:12:02 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

So, with all this talk of RV's and such, I gotta ask. Why are you yearning
after one of those, when you have a sweet Tailwind sitting out there ready
to ride?

Faster? Less fuel? View?

Kinda makes me go Hummm? ;=)

I really do have a Tailwind. it is 25 years old. wouldnt sell it for
quids. I think I told the last offer that I wouldnt trade it for 10
spitfires.

faster is the reason, and my long term goal was to build in each
style for the experience except that I may forgoe compost on the basis
of not wanting the allergies.

the need for speed is because of the remoteness of where I end up at
the end of the first day in the Tailwind. 8,000ft and the top cruise
speed of the RV3 (or for that matter a sunderland T18) would see me in
civilisation at the end of the day. that is what is driving the issue.

the fastest I can get my O-200 tailwind to cruise at is 124 knots and
that is with a freshly painted and balanced prop. I rather like the
old girl and really dont want to flog her to death trying to get a
faster cruise. I'd like to be flying the Tailwind at age 99 so I need
to nurse her along for the next 42 years. Time to build something I
can flog along in. The Auster isnt capable. The Turbulent isnt being
built for speed. An RV3 fits the bill and I dont think it would take
forever to build.

does that make sense?
Stealth Pilot