Old February 7th 05, 03:46 AM
Roy Smith

Wizard of Draws wrote:

I took a short XC today after a layoff of a few months due to real life
constraints and weather. I filed IFR even though it was VFR because I wanted
to get back into the groove of communicating with ATC.
I filed for 5000 going east. On the ground, they told me it would be faster
if I took off VFR and opened my plan in the air, so I did.

I was at 5500 when I finally got through since I was VFR, but all I was
given initially was a squawk code with no altitude assignment or clearance.
I assumed that I was IFR at this point so I began to descend to 5000 per my
flight plan. As I did I asked ATC if he had an altitude assignment, and he
came back with 6000, cleared direct. No problem, I pull back up and fly as
I'm told.

So, was I IFR as soon as I was given a squawk and required to fly my flight
plan, or should I have waited to change from a VFR altitude to an IFR
altitude until I was given specific instructions?

You're IFR when you hear the magic words "cleared to". When the controller
first gave you squawk code, you were still VFR. He wanted to get you in
radar contact before issuing your clearance (so he didn't have to apply
non-radar separation rules). I assume when you wrote, "6000, cleared
direct", it really sounded more like, "Cleared to the XYZ airport, via
direct, maintain 6000". Clearance limit, Route, Altitude, always in that
order (followed by Frequency and Transponder code, giving the popular CRAFT
acronym).

What confuses me is, "given a squawk and required to fly my flight plan".
In what way were you required to fly your flight plan? Until you are IFR,
the controller can't really require you to do much of anything (assuming
class E airspace).