Old November 19th 18, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 1:26:51 PM UTC-8, RR wrote:
What I was looking at was found here, but seems to be abandoned for now. https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/issues/489

It describes outputting the adsb traffic found on the stratux as Power flarm nema strings. If that can pump those into the 9000, then I can get an audio warning of traffic. Also, all traffic can show up in one place. I was considering another display for weather, but that is an occasional need, not persistent. I think I could do that painlessly on my phone over wifi when I wanted to see if I could get around a T-cell.

and yes, my adsb out is 2020 compliant.

Rick

Andy Blackburn was in involved in that one (against my better advice/pessimism). He is in that thread you linked to. You could ask him where this is at, and details about USA ADS-B interoperability etc., if he does not pop up here to reply.

But I'd not get too excited. Getting an ADS-B traffic target at all and then having actual FLARM like warning behaviors from it consistent with how FLARM would actually handle that same ADS-B target, let alone a FLARM target, are two different things. And then how do targets get deduplicated? (well OK you start by using a UAT only receiver.. but what about TIS-B over UAT.. Do you just drop them or do you want that instead of PCAS, etc.). Engineering a proper integrated systems is non-trivial.

So back to Foreflight etc... as your real option today (and you'll turn off the traffic audio warnings on that pretty darn quickly if flying near other gliders).